Since Magento is considered to be one of the best SEO friendly tool to develop websites, many web developers have now started using it to develop commercial sites. In order to get top ranking on the search engines’ lists, a few modifications are still required to be made and a few points must be remembered while customizing a Magento site for SEO. The modifications that a Magento eCommerce development requires for SEO methods are discussed below in detail:
- Enable SEO – By default Magento disables SEO feature. In order to make a Magento website SEO friendly, ‘Use Web Server Rewrites’ option must be turned on. The option can be found in System > Configuration > Web > Search Engine Optimization. Developers must choose ‘Yes’ from the available drop-down list to enable SEO.
- Header – When Magento is installed, the default title name is set to ‘Magento Commerce’ which must be changed as per the type of products the website deals in. The name specified in the ‘Default Title’ field is used as the title for all the web pages of the website that have no specific title. Examples of specific titles can be ‘About us’, ‘Recently searched’, etc. Default title can be changed by going to System > Configuration > Design > HTML Head and an appropriate default title can be specified in the ‘Default Title’ field. In case Magento Developers want the name of the store or any other text to be displayed along with the page title, they can populate the ‘Title Suffix’ field with the desired name.
- CMS – Magento Developers should avoid auto-generated contents to be used as descriptions. In order to get decent ranking in search engines, it is advisable to use manually written contents for descriptions that are able to clearly describe about information the page contains.
- URLs – It is always advisable to use self-explanatory but short URLs. An ideal URL is that does not have articles such as ‘the’, ‘an’ or ‘a’ in it. Eliminating such words from the URL increases its readability, which further increases the chances of getting higher ranks in the search engines.
- Heading Size – It is advisable to keep the heading of the page to <h1> (biggest font size). Headings of pages may vary depending on the type of contents that they have, e.g. ‘About us’, ‘Most viewed’, etc. Subheadings should be either of <h2> or <h3> in size, according to the font size chosen for the running texts (description/main information).
- Speed – Speed is one of the major factors that make a commercial website appreciated by its visitors and potential buyers. In order to increase the loading speed of a Magento webpage on a client’s computer, caching must be enabled. When caching is enabled, a copy of the visited page is cached in the client computer’s hard disk drive. This allows the already visited webpage get loaded from the cache, hence reducing the time that the webpage takes to open on a web browser.
All above discussed and other important points such as Sitemap, Robots and Pagination should be carefully followed and implemented in a Magento Ecommerce website in order to increase its ranking on the search engine listings, and attracting decent network traffic.
About the guest author: Jayesh works for Rightway Solution a Magento Ecommerce Development service provider. He’s passionate as regards an assortment of subjects including Web, Software Technology, Online Business, and anything Internet-related. Now a days he blogs on Magento Developers.
This is a unique article published on SEO Desk with exclusivity.
Popularity: 9% [?]
Incoming search terms:
- magento best for marketing